The NC AHEC Scholars Program
As part of the NC AHEC Scholars program, the Eastern AHEC Scholars Program recruits, trains, and supports a diverse group of students enrolled in health professions programs across our 23 county service area in North Carolina. Together these students create an interdisciplinary team of health professionals devoted to the transformation of health care in North Carolina. We seek individuals who are committed to improving health and health care, devoted to community service, and interested in improving their own skills and in working with other professionals in team-based care.
With an emphasis on underrepresented minorities, rural, and first-generation college students, the Eastern AHEC Scholars Program aims to improve the diversity and distribution of all health professions and support health systems transformation across the state.
Selected applicants participate in a 2-year educational program and may receive an $2,000 travel expense subsidy ($1,000 per year, subject to academic or institutional approval). Each AHEC Scholar will receive a NC AHEC Scholars Certificate, setting them apart from other students in an increasingly competitive environment. Scholars will have the opportunity to network with students and faculty from academic institutions throughout the region and state.
Scholars will participate in both experiential and didactic learning opportunities that will explore topics such as:
- Interprofessional Education
- Behavioral Health Integration
- Social Determinants of Health
- Cultural Competency
- Practice Transformation
- Current and Emerging Health Issues
- Connecting Communities and Supporting Health Professionals
- Virtual Learning and Telehealth
- Must be currently enrolled in a college-level health professions education training program in the Eastern AHEC Region by August 31
- Reliable access to Wi-Fi
- Must have access to reliable transportation
- Eligible to work inside the United States
- Must be committed to the AHEC Scholars Program for a total of 2 years
- Complete 40 hours of didactic training each year of the program
- Complete 40 hours of experiential training each year of the program
- Must complete all required assignments
- Scholars will receive $2,000 allowance ($1,000 per year) to offset expenses.
- Scholars will have opportunities to engage and network with thought leaders in health administration, public health, medicine, academia, etc.
- Scholars will be better positioned to work with diverse patients in rural and/or underserved communities.
- Network with like-minded students that want to make a difference in healthcare.
How to Apply
Must be currently enrolled in a college-level health professions education training program in Eastern AHEC Region by August 31.
Click here for a list of accepted programs for the NC AHEC Scholars Program.
- Click on the Application link to access the application. (If your application doesn’t show a fillable pdf form, try a different browser.)
- IMPORTANT: Save the application to your computer once you have completed it.
- Finally, return the application by emailing it to email@example.com.
- Application Deadline: June 15, 2022.
A completed application will include the following material
- AHEC Scholars Application
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Copy of Official Transcript (Due to the COVID-19 situation, we will accept an unofficial transcript at this time.)
- However, an official transcript could be requested prior to acceptance.
Additional information may be required upon selection such as:
- Background Check to be completed by Eastern AHEC
- Immunization Records Upon Selection (If required for clinical learning)
For more information, please contact Director of Student Services Blair Savoca at firstname.lastname@example.org or 252-744-5214.